Stop Ignoring Snoring
By Nicole Lim Xiu Fern, Caring Pharmacist | Malaysia | Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:13pm
STOP IGNORING SNORING
The effects of snoringSnoring can lead to fragmented and disturbed sleep which translates into poor daytime function such as tiredness and sleepiness. Snoring can also strain the relationship with your sleeping partner as it also affects his/her sleep.
Why do people snore?Snoring occurs when airflow through air passages is obstructed by floppy muscles in the tongue, throat and roof of the mouth during sleep, causing walls of the throat to vibrate as the air passes through. These vibrations lead to the characteristic annoying sound of snoring.
Who is more at risk of snoring?
- The elderly
- People who are overweight or obese
- People with nasal and sinus problems
What are the lifestyle changes that I can adopt to stop snoring?
- Losing weight if you are overweight
- Avoid drinking alcohol particularly a few hours before you go to bed
- Giving up smoking if you smoke
- Exercising regularly as this will strengthen neck muscles, which may help prevent the airways narrowing
What are the medical treatments available for snoring?
- Nasal strip: Attached to the nose right before sleep. The strip will pull the nostrils apart to reduce nasal obstruction.
- Chin strap: This strap holds the chin to prevent the mouth from opening during sleep. This also prevents your tongue and throat tissues falling back to block the airways.
- Throat spray: An oily foam that lubricates the floppy muscles in the tongue, throat and roof of mouth. This reduces the tissue vibration as the air passes through the airways.
- Surgery: There are various procedures available but please speak to your surgeon to find out more. Surgery is normally the last resort.
- The basics of snoring. M Ratini (2018). WebMD Web article: www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/snoring-basics
- How to stop snoring: Tips to help you and your partner sleep better. J Segal, M Smith, L Robinson, R Segal (2018). Helpguide.Org Web article: www.helpguide.org/articles/sleep/snoring-tips-to-help-you-and-your-partner-sleep-better.htm
By Webmaster | Malaysia | Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:27pmRead More >